11.28.2011

Turkey Trot, Iron Bowl & Bubbles

Turkey Trot
Its not very often that I do something that I am really really PROUD of myself for. I think the last time I can say I legitimately was super proud of something I did was when I made a 4.0 last semester. ((Ill probably never see THAT again; it was a monumental moment in my college life)) But on Thanksgiving Day, I did something I was proud of again... RAN my first 5k!
On Tuesday I basically forced my sister to sign up with me, so she spent the night on Wednesday & we got up BRIGHT & EARLY on Thanksgiving to do the Run for Hope. I have to admit, I was so anxious I couldnt sleep. But the morning of, I was just excited & ready to get started. We decided to run the whole thing together & push each other. We made our first mile in 9 minutes, and the second in 18:35. The last mile was the hardest, because it was mostly uphill. But when I saw the finish line & I saw the time on 29:30-something I was about to cry. We sprinted to the end & our "official" time was 29:45. I was so happy I cried... then puked. (probably from the yogurt... hindsight bias- that was a bad breakfast choice).
Here we are after the race- I am completely aware that I look like t-total-shit.

I've worked really hard over the last 8ish weeks to get ready for a run. I've almost completed the Couch to 5k program & I've already purchased the Bridge to 10k app! I never thought Id say this, but I like running! I cant wait to sign up for my next run & work at improving my time!

After the run, I completely blew what little motivation I had to continue my so called diet. I gained 5, FIVE, pounds over Thanksgiving. Unacceptable. But it was TOTALLY worth it. God I love food. Plus it was really nice being able to see my family.


Iron Bowl
I love the Iron Bowl. I love getting all of our friends & family together. I love the food, the camaraderie and the jeering of the other team. This year was particularly fun. We had the Iron Bowl party at our house & everybody brought a TON of food. We also played the traditional shot game: at the beginning of the game you declare which team you are pulling for. If the other team makes a touchdown, field goal or interception, you have to take a shot. This year, the Auburn fans had it rough. I wish I had recorded each shot they took, because one of Chris's toasts was certainly one for the books. It went something like this:

Me: *hands Chris a shot* Okay, Say Roll Tide!
Chris: No! Im never saying that...
Mom: Okay, well say 'Fuck Bama' and take your shot.
Chris: *Drunkenly sways* Okay, guys.... We are going to toast to FOOTBALL & even though Auburn is losing, we still have Bama Bitches making our drinks!

Oh Chris... when are you going to learn social skills? Haha. His friends made fun of him all night, and tried to tell him that you SHOULD NOT refer to your future mother-in-law as a "bama bitch". But it was all in good fun. My family still loves him. :)







Bubbles
After Bama whipped ass, most of our friends still stayed for a little while to hang out. Suzanne & I decided to set up a hookah, and turn on some music when Misty said "Have you ever blown hookah bubbles" & then the night became one of the best ever.
I had never heard of hookah bubbles before. But apparently when you exhale the smoke, you just blow it into a bubble wand. Then the bubble holds the smoke until it pops. Holy.Shit. Best. Idea. Ever.


However, Misty told me this little gem of information, I didnt have any bubbles. So, impromptu bubbles it was- Suzanne & I made bubbles with Bath & Body shower gel, water & we used miscellaneous items to blow the bubbles. Some of them included: an apple corer, a rotel can, baby dixie cup, blue solo cup, & wire ornament hangers.

 As entertaining as it was to watch us make a mess with fake bubbles, Alisa was like THE BEST FRIEND EVER and got us real bubbles. ((Suzanne & I also went to the Dollar Tree & bought more shit to blow bubbles with- a recorder, a spatula & a paddle ball))






I also have two really good videos of our bubble blowing shindig. They are both short, and probably worth watching. Especially the first one. God, we are so weird.



No comments:

Post a Comment