6.25.2012

Honeymoonin': Part 2: Punta Cana, Dominican Repbulic

So our first 5 days in Cabarete were AMAZING. & Action filled. The last 5 days we relaxed on the beautiful beaches of Punta Cana & recovered from all of the billion things we've had going on these last few months.

Day 6:
We drug ourselves out of bed, had breakfast & got in the car to start our what-I-thought-would be 5 hour journey to Punta Cana.
The first 3 hours were easy. Chris read, I journaled, and napped. I also spent an obscene amount of time staring out the window debating on if it was beautiful because of the beaches & mountains or sad because of the rampant poverty.
Anyway. About half way there, we went through *another* toll with scary looking men with machine guns & as soon as we were on the other side, our driver pulled over, told us to get out & we switched cabs with some other random couple. Hmmm. Thankfully this wasn't the first time that this happened to us, so I was a little prepared.
Taxi-man numero dos offered to stop somewhere so we could eat. YES. He stopped at a weird gas station/cafeteria place. Whatevs. We ate. It was on the water, & the view was nice.

A bunch of hours later when I was getting restless, I also started to get car sick. I was really close to vomiting in the van. Maybe I shouldnt have eaten at the gas station....

But, we finally arrived at the Hard Rock. Our check in was WONDERFUL. It only took a few minutes, and we were served drinks within 5 minutes of walking in the door. Outstanding front desk service.

& when Chris asked if there were any upgrades to the concierge level rooms the man said
"I cannot upgrade you to the concierge level. But. I will put you in a presidential suite." WHAT. PARTY AT OUR ROOM. I was excited then, but I was REALLY excited when I saw our room!!!

& this was the view from our balcony!


After I took in every bit of our room, we took a walk around the property to check out the beach & find some dinner.
That night we ate at a Brazilian Steakhouse. Yum.

Day 7:
Tuesday we woke up early and hit the pool... and beach... and bar...

After a few hours of sun, we showered & headed to the spa. I loved loved loved my pre-massage experience. Steam room. Sauna. Weird Shower. Ice Room. Mud Room. Shower. Snacks. Then massage. It was perfect. & Chris made a lady friend named Awilda. Uh-wil-DUH. Ask him about her.

& when we made it back to the room, they had us a honeymoon cake & champagne waiting. Holllla.



After more showers & getting ready, we attempted to go to a hibachi dinner. I say attempted because we showed up at 8, and they wouldnt put us on a waiting list because "they close at 10." Well, lady. You dont know who youre dealing with. After I threw a little pity party, we walked across the street to the Italian place. It was fine. We ate veal. & drank a bottle of wine.

Day 8:
Ohhh day 8. What a bitter sweet day.
Chris & I got up EARLY to go to the Eden pool. I really really wanted to snag one of those fancy little swinging beds... So we did. & when the bar opened at 10 am, I was first in line. Caipirinahs will be the death of me.
By noon I was passed out in the swinging bed. Chris woke me up to eat, I napped some more, and then we hung out in the pool all day. & since we didnt have any small bills & noone would give us change, the bartenders were like our bffs.
I stopped drinking after lunch, because I was so hammered that I could ride out the rest of the day with no problem. Chris however.... lets just say by 5:00 we had to get out of the pool because I was scared he would drown.
I promised some other honeymooning couple that we would meet them for hibachi at 6:30.... we barely made it...


So we start eating our sushi app, and it was delicious. & then someone asked "Does anybody want mine?" OH YES. US. DRUNKS IN THE CORNER!! RIGHT HERE.


We made it through dinner, found our way back to our room & called it a night.... Or so I thought.

20 minutes later, I started to feel realllllly bad. I was pacing around & sweating. About the time I yelled loud enough for Chris to wake up, I was vomiting everywhere.

I though I would feel better afterwards, and then I could go back to sleep... I was wrong. GOD I WAS WRONG. I threw up every few minutes for the next 5 hours. Sushi was probably a bad idea.
Chris was so sweet though, he made me us a pallet on the floor so we could sleep next to the potty. Around 3:30-4:00 we were able to go back to bed. Ughh. It was a long night

Day 9:
6:50AM: *RING RING RING RING* "Excuse me, sir, your honeymooners breakfast-in-bed is being delivered" *CLICK*
7:00AM: *BANG BANG BANG BANG* *!#$%

I finally dragged myself out of bed and made it to the table ((liars- they said it would be in bed... they were probably repulsed by the smell of our room and threw it down at the closest available spot)).
Breakfast was salmon & cream cheese bagels, an egg, bacon & ham omelet, fruit, bread, juice & champagne.

Normally, Id be like YEAHFOOD! But I mostly just pushed my food around & tried not to puke anymore.

I went back to sleep until lunchtime & then we headed to the beach.

That evening we had our honeymooners dinner. It was okay. The shrimp were good. I almost punched the waiter when he asked Chris how I wanted MY steak cooked. Excuse me, but I can order for myself. I am not a child.


Day 10:
Our last day in Punta Cana we decided to go on a snorkle/party boat. It was pretty much awful. But we made the best of it. We got to meet a few other couples who were also making the best of it. & a few people who had clearly never been on a boat and or see a fish.
We also met some people FROM MOBILE. & it was some crazy ass story about it being the girls wedding day & calling off the wedding & still going on her honeymoon & "Mami" was beyond toasted. But no matter how hard I try to relay the story, it will never be funny to anyone who wasnt there.
We did end up partying with them that night though.

Day 11:
Saturday we spent the whole day traveling home. We had a super long layover in Miami, but it was all good. We were both ready to be home & see Mobley!!


Punta Cana was great, but I have to say, I enjoyed Cabarete more. Our resort was very, very nice, but we didnt get to see any of the "real Dominican Republic" there.
Although, I DID enjoy the all-inclusive part of it.
I think we had a perfect honeymoon. I know we will cherish these memories forever. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment