6.21.2011

New Orleans Get Away

A few weeks ago, Chris picked up an extra shift to cover for a friend. I wasnt really thrilled about it, but he agreed to make up the time to me by taking me somewhere to get away for a day or so. We decided on New Orleans & Im so glad we did.
     Friday morning, we got up early, put the suitcase in the car, dropped Mobley off at his Bunnies house (my mom), and headed to NOLA. Just spending extra time together in the car was nice, until Chris got lost in the Quarter... We finally found our hotel, Iberville Suites & checked in early. By the way, if you are going to NOLA soon, our hotel was amazing. & You couldnt beat the location, it was one block up from Bourbon on Iberville. It was close enough to walk, even late at night, and still quiet.
     After we checked in we went to K. Paul's Kitchen for lunch. It was amazing. We both had po-boys & sweet potato fries, YUMM!! We walked/sweated off our lunch by walking around Jackson Square & the French Market for a while. Honestly, though, it was way too damn hot to be outside for too long. So around 3:30, we went back to our hotel and took a little nap before dinner.


     When we woke up from our nap, Chris was ready to make dinner reservations. After browsing our little foodie magazine, we decided on Dickie Brennans because Playboy & Maxium rated it one of the Top 10 Steakhouses in the nation. & They had to be right. HOLY CRAP MY DINNER WAS AMAZING. It was literally the best meal I've ever eaten. I had a fillet & Chris had a ribeye. We split some grilled asparagus, & turtle soup. After dinner, I didnt think I could eat another bite, but then our sweet waitress brought a dessert menu. Of course Chris and I couldnt pick one, so I ordered Creme Brulee & Chris had Bananas Foster Bread Pudding.
      We were planning on hitting Bourbon right after dinner, but after a meal that huge, we had to take a little rest before we braved the streets of New Orleans.  We layed up in bed & watched some hilarious guy on Comedy Central, then headed out. 
     We arent really 'clubby' people, so Bourbon didnt have a lot to offer us. But we eventually found a Dueling Piano bar that was amazing, it was called "Howl at the Moon" We ended up hanging out there most of the night. Around midnight, I had a pretty good buzz, and we decided to walk around some more. I came across a sign that said "Cherry Bombs" & got way overly excited about it. I wanted a damn cherry bomb, which I thought was just a cherry soaked in alcohol.... I was wrong. It was a cherry soaked in alcohol, with a shot of Everclear on top. Two cherry bombs later, I was ready for bed. Usually when I start acting like a cat, its about time to go home.

    The next morning we trekked to Cafe Du Monde. The line was like 30 minute long, just to get inside, but it was so worth it.

We both got an order of beignets & an iced coffee. It was a delicious breakfast!

We checked out of our hotel, and went to pick up Chris' neice Ashley, that goes to school at Loyola. We grabbed lunch at a little place called Remoulade & then went to the Audubon Aquarium!  I am such a nerd. I loved the aquarium!!
     When we were finished at the aquarium, we took Ashley home, and Chris was ready to head back to Mobile. After a minor fit on my part, he agreed to take me back to Jackson Square one more time. Literally the only thing I wanted to do over there was get a caricature done. & I am so glad we went back! I love our little caricature, I think the guy did a great job!
Plus, we got to eat some gelato before we left. It was well worth going back.

We had such a blast in New Orleans. I hope we can keep doing things like that in the future. Even though we didnt party until 5 am, or stay for a week, it was a perfect get away for us.

1 comment: