6.15.2011

Ignorant/Closed Minded People

I hate ignorance. But more than ignorance, I hate people who KNOW better & are still closed minded.
Lets take this man "P" for example. I dont know "P" but he added me on facebook about a year ago. We have 21 mutual friends, and Chris "knows of him". So I accepted his friend request. His profile states that he works at a local church, "providing guidance for new members." He attended a Christian College. He is listed as a Christian, & Jesus is listed as the sole person who inspires "P". His favorite book is the Bible, and his favorite quote is "Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". Sweet. As you may assume, this man is a devoted Christian. BUT this man really gets under my skin. I RAGED when I saw this picture... (If you cant read it, it says "Everything I ever needed know know about Islam, I learned on 9/11"




ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! SERIOUSLY. ARE YOU JOKING. You have to be joking, "P". This is the most ridiculous, closed minded thing I've ever seen in my life. Granted, this wasnt P's truck, but reposting on his facebook page? I still think that's unacceptable. & Speaking of unacceptable, please enjoy this status from P, (This is a DIRECT QUOTE, I copied and pasted.

"LOL – I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline. I got a call center in Pakistan , and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck"
Okay. So now all Pakistanis are Muslims? Right. Gotcha. Good call, P. & All Muslims are Terrorists. SHIT. My boss is from Lebanon. I bet he is going to blow me up any day now.

Im not naive. I know there are bad people in the world. There are extremist in every religion. What about the Christians that bomb abortion clinics? Or the KKK, which was founded on the belief that they wanted to "reestablish Protestant Christian values in America by any means possible" and believed Jesus was the first clansman. I for one do not identify with that group of people, as Im sure, a majority of people dont. Just like Im sure that a majority of Muslims do not identify with al-Qaeda.

The whole thing pisses me off. But I think what pisses me off most is the fact that this man is spreading hate. He is posting hateful things to facebook (not just about Muslims, also about Hispanics, women and other minorities) & educating new Christians?!  I am sorry, but if I were a member of that church, and "P" was my mentor, guiding me into a Christian life, I would reconsider my beliefs.

I feel like a little wisdom from Gandhi is applicable here... "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Since he is your friend on facebook I'm sure he will see this and I'm interested to see if he has a response or will just silently "unfriend" you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly true. Glad to see that somebody else knows and believes that stereotypes are not always true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I love you Whit. You are never afraid to speak up for any kind of injustice, big or small. I think it is great that you are willing to stand up regardless of who the person is that is doing wrong. I hope I can be like you when I need to be.

    ReplyDelete